- PURCHASE BUS PASSES
- BUS FEES
- DESIGNATED BUS STOPS
- REPLACEMENTS & REFUNDS
- RULES & SAFETY GUIDELINES
- TRANSPORTATION FORMS
Families wishing to utilize school bus transportation for their student(s) must purchase a bus pass online. Bus passes, coupon packs of 25 or 50, and replacement bus passes are ONLY available for purchase online and are no longer available for purchase in person at the Business Office. Bus passes and coupon packs purchased online will be sent to the student(s) at the school site(s). Please review all rules and safety guidelines. Please be aware that kindergartners must be received at the bus stop by a parent or designated adult. Bus drivers will release all other grade students at their designated bus stop without a parent present.
Use the link below to purchase:
District-paid applications are accepted at the Business Office (Building B) during the hours of 7:30 a.m. to noon and 1 p.m. to 4 p.m. Download and print the application below. Only completed applications with copies of required documents will be accepted.
Coupons packs of 25 and 50 are only available online. Infrequent, one-way use coupons in quantities of 10 or less are available for purchase at the school site. Coupons require a signed application, which is available below. One-way coupons are $2 each.
|HOME TO SCHOOL TRANSPORTATION FEE SCHEDULE
August 26, 2019 - June 11, 2020
|Type of Transportation||One
|Three or more Children|
|ART- Annual Round Trip Pass||$364.00||$728.00||$910.00|
|AOW-Annual One Way Pass (AM or PM)||$182.00||$364.00||$455.00|
|SRT-Semester Round Trip Pass||$198.00||$396.00||$495.00|
|SOW-Semester One Way Pass (AM or PM)||$103.00||$206.00||$257.50|
|COUPONS-Occasional Use One Way*||25 Passes = $50.00
50 Passes = $100.00
|FRIDAY AM (Thurston Middle School Only)||$36.00 (Full Year – Friday mornings only)|
Families with more than two K-8 students utilizing District Transportation are eligible for a discount: the first two students are full fare; the third student receives a 50 percent discount on the least valued pass, the fourth and greater student passes are district-paid, at the lowest value pass.
*Coupons are available for infrequent, one-way bus transportation at the school site in quantities of 10 or less. Coupons are $2 each.
PLEASE NOTE: BUS COUPONS EXPIRE AT THE END OF EACH SCHOOL YEAR AND ARE NOT REFUNDABLE.
Does my student need a bus pass?
ALL students are required to have a bus pass to ride the bus. The bus pass tells the driver who the student is, where the student needs to be dropped off, and if the student needs to be met by an adult.
How do I get my child's bus pass?
Bus passes are delivered to your student at their school. If you purchased a pass online during the summer, your student(s) may ride the bus on the first day of school. Students will receive their bus pass at school prior to dismissal. Thurston Middle School students may receive their bus pass at Wave Rider Day, if purchased in advance.
How do I qualify for a District-paid bus pass?
District-paid bus passes require an application. Qualifying criteria is based upon household income and qualifying dependents. Proof of income is required. Only completed, signed applications with copies of all required documents will be considered.
How do I replace a lost bus pass?
A $5 replacement fee is charged for lost bus passes. Replacement passes are purchased online.
Am I required to meet my child at the bus stop?
We require kindergarten students to be met by a parent or designated adult. It is recommended all students be met by a parent or parent designee. We also encourage all students to walk together in groups.
Can the bus drop my child off at a stop by my daycare provider or relative's house?
Parents may choose up to three Designated Bus Stops (DBS).
My child left an item (jacket, book, instrument, etc.) on the bus. How do I get it back?
Drivers check their buses after each run. Contact your child's bus driver the following day. You may also call Durham Transportation directly at (949) 376-0376. Labeling all of your child's belongings with your child's name and school is helpful.
Can I pack a snack for my child to eat on the bus?
For the safety of all students, we do not permit food or drinks on the bus.
Why are buses sometimes late?
School bus drivers do all they can to remain on schedule; however, they do experience conditions that can delay the bus such as traffic delays, roadway collisions, and construction. All students are asked to be at their bus stop ten minutes prior to the departure time so that students are ready to leave when the bus arrives.
What do I do if my child wants to go home with a friend?
Infrequent use coupons are available for purchase from the school site's office. Parents must complete a bus coupon application in order to purchase a coupon. A signed note from the parent stating the requested designated bus stop is also required. Please contact your child's school for specific information.
Are refunds available?
Refunds are made only if a student moves out of the District, or moves to a non-transportable area. All requests for refunds must be made in writing to the Business Office. Refunds are prorated based on full unused months. A $10.00 processing fee is charged.
Bus passes are considered the property of LBUSD. Accordingly, each student is expected to safeguard his or her bus pass and must present it to the driver upon boarding the bus each day. LBUSD assumes no responsibility for lost or stolen passes.
A $5 replacement fee is charged for lost bus passes and may be purchased online. Students are allowed up to three different designated bus stops (DBS). There is no charge to add additional designated bus stops, up to a total of three. To add additional stops, please bring the bus pass to the business office or school site. However, if DBS changes are required to a current bus pass that already has three stops, a replacement pass will need to be purchased online for $5. The original purchased bus pass must be forfeited to receive replacement bus pass with new designated bus stops.
Refunds are approved ONLY if a student moves out of the District, or moves to a non-transportable area. All requests for refund must be directed to the Business Office. Refunds are prorated based on full, unused months. In addition, a $10 processing fee is charged. The District DOES NOT refund fares for students who are suspended or expelled from transportation or school for disciplinary reasons. The bus pass must be forfeited upon refund request.
Rules and Safety Guidelines
- Kindergartners must be received at the bus stop by a parent or designated adult. Bus drivers will release all other grade students at their designated bus stop without a parent present.
- Student safety depends upon the proper and safe conduct of each individual.
- Students are responsible for safekeeping, controlling, and presenting their bus passes.
- Use only the designated bus stop and bus assigned. Any change requires signed parental permission before end of school day.
- Arrive at bus stop ten minutes before bus is due. Behave in an orderly manner at bus stop. As bus arrives, form a line and stand at least six feet back from curb. Do not move toward bus until it has come to a complete stop and door is open.
- Be respectful of neighbors while walking to and from the bus stop and while waiting for the bus.
- Use only public access on the way to and from the bus stop. Always obey all traffic laws.
- Display bus pass to the driver upon boarding the bus.
- Board the bus, find a seat quickly and remain seated at all times, facing front, while bus is in motion.
- Follow instructions of the driver. Drivers may assign seats, assign three to a seat, assign seat mates, and take other actions needed for safe passage of the students.
- Talk quietly. Do not shout, yell, use profane language or gestures, fight, or behave in a boisterous manner.
- Keep all body parts inside the bus.
- Not eat, drink, or chew gum, while on the bus.
- Not bring animals, glass objects, or large bulky or hazardous articles of any kind on the bus. This includes boogie boards, bike wheels, and skateboards.
- Not litter the bus or engage in vandalism, destruction of property, or graffiti. Costs will be billed to the student and their parent.
- Not possess or use tobacco, drugs or alcohol, firearms, knives, explosives, or other dangerous objects aboard the bus.
- Not light matches, lighters or firecrackers aboard the bus.
- Not play or tamper with any part of the bus.
- Not ask driver to discharge students anywhere but at a designated bus stops, in accordance with the law.
- Remain quiet at the bus stops.
- When existing the bus, follow the drivers' instructions. If crossing on the opposite side of the street, always cross in front of the bus, and utilize the crosswalk, obeying all traffic laws.
- Respect the danger zone around the bus.
This section is pursuant to Ed. Code Sections 39831.3-39831.5 and Vehicle Code Section 22112.
Student Behavior and Discipline
All policies and rules regarding safety, behavior, and discipline on the school bus remain in effect. Parents are encouraged to review the student responsibilities and Durham's rules and regulations with their student(s). With parent assistance the cooperation of all student riders, the District is able to continue to provide safe transportation.
Abuse or Misuse of Bus Pass
The following standards of progressive action regarding abuse/misuse of bus transportation are established and are separate from school disciplinary measures.
1. Using or attempting to use a stolen, found, or forged bus pass:
- 1st Offense: Driver confiscates pass, and privileges are suspended for ten(10) days.
- 2nd Offense: Bus privileges suspended for remainder of school year.
2. Allowing another student to use one's own buss pass:
- 1st Offense: Bus Pass confiscated, attached to bus conduct report, and turned in to school.
- 2nd Offense: Bus privileges suspended for remainder of school year.
3. Using or attempting to use an expired bus pass:
- 1st Offense: Driver confiscates Bus Pass and issues bus conduct report.
- 2nd Offense: Bus privileges suspended for five (5) days.
- 3rd Offense: Bus privileges suspended for ten (10) days.
- 4th Offense: Bus privileges suspended for remainder of school year.
Possession of any pass which is not the property of the possessor, shall constitute evidence of improper possession and use, or attempted use, and is reason to exercise disciplinary measures.
Students Without a Bus Pass
- If the student is not listed on the designated bus stop list and is at the bus stop, student is transported to school, and the driver notifies the school office.
- The school office contacts the parent(s) to explain the Transportation Fee Program.
- Students without a bus pass or one-way bus coupon will not be allowed to ride the bus home from school.